Tuesday, August 3, 2010

A busy weekend. From Sussex to St. Martins


View of the coast from a lookout point. Magnificent!


Fuller Falls


Me on the huge suspension bridge


Fundy Trail Parkway

This past weekend was of course the long weekend and I spent my time wisely. After attending an anniversary party in Cambridge Narrows (30-40 min from Saint John) I travelled to Sussex (45 min from Saint John) Most people know Sussex as a farming community however it has grown up over the past few years. It boasts a mall, a few great restaurants and a few don’t miss festivals in the summer. Cambridge narrows is a cottage community. The river water is so warm down in this area, it is like bath water most times.

After an evening spent at a campground, I headed back home to do a little sightseeing myself. Off to the Fundy Trail I went with my backpack and some granola stuffed in it. A friend and I attempt to hike at least half every year but usually quit around the 15 km mark. Hey, that’s almost 30 km’s there and back. Give me a break!

This year we drove in and parked at our starting point. The trail is so beautiful. It truly is breathtaking. The coast line is epic and the hills and mountainous terrain looks as though it rolls on forever. My friend made a comment to me which really struck a chord as someone who took this site for granted. She said: “Imagine never seeing the ocean. Imagine never seeing this view we are looking at right now.” I never realized how magnificent the Fundy shoreline was until that moment. During our hike, we were able to see the Captain's burial ground, walk the suspension bridge over Big Salmon River, walk up the hanging cable stairs, see a waterfalls and ofcourse gaze at the fundy shorline on a beautiful beach. Could life get any better?

Saint Martin’s was packed that day. There were people all over. Restaurants were full; the streets were full of people sightseeing everywhere. It was a great sight to see for someone in the tourism industry. Saint Martin’s is about a hour drive from the city. It is a small community at the base of the Fundy Trail.

2 comments:

  1. Great pics Saint John Suzy! Indeed, we live in a beautiful province...the Picture Province!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a Maine artist, spent a week painting around Gardner Creek and St Martins in June. So beautiful! Paintings are in a show at the St John Arts Centre. Will do the trail in the fall...enjoyed your post linked from tourism St John

    ReplyDelete